This page is still under construction. More material will be added over the coming months.
In the late 1950s and early 1960s, what is now the Gorse Industrial Estate on the road from Elveden to Barnham was one of the most secret and most secure sites in the UK – as it stored a substantial fraction of the UK’s nuclear bombs!
Composite drone image of the Gorse Industrial Estate (Barnham nuclear bomb store). This is composed of about 300 individual images stitched together automatically.
- 2011 Report by Wayne Cocroft and Derwin Gregory, Historic England, on archive sources relating to the bomb store site
- Drone video of former RAF Barnham Nuclear Bomb store.
- Historic England listing of the site as a scheduled monument – lots of details
- Historic England pictures of Barnham Bomb Store.
- Recent pictures of the site and its buildings. Copyright Alan Clarke.