Visit to West Stow Hall
20th Jan 2019, 2:00 pm - 4:30 pm
The visit will include a talk by the owner, a tour of the Hall and its gatehouse, and tea, cakes and scones served in the Great Hall.
West Stow Hall is only open to the public on a few occasions each year. Our visit is at a special price and we can take a maximum of 25 people.
The Hall and its gatehouse, Grade 1 listed, were built in about 1520, probably on the site of an earlier moated hall dating back to at least the mid-13th century.
The three story gatehouse has turrets surmounted by terracotta figures and contains a very rare 16th century wall painting of the Ages of Man. Above its entrance is the coat of arms of Queen Mary of France, later the Duchess of Suffolk, who was Henry VIII’s younger sister. It is linked to the house by a colonnade built in 1580.
West Stow Hall is a timber framed structure joined by iron ties. The downstairs front rooms are very heavily timbered, with some of the side uprights rising up through the house to the roof. The lounge has a one of the largest inglenooks in Suffolk. The rear frame of the Hall includes a great reception hall, dating from the early 16th century. It has heavily carved beams with interesting detail.
In the 1840s the house was partially faced in brick by its then owner, the Rev. Benyon, said to have been the wealthiest clergyman in England.
Directions: West Stow Hall is off the Icklingham Road in the village of West Stow, 4½ miles north-west of Bury St Edmunds and 3 miles south-east of Icklingham. The entrance to the Hall is nearly opposite the trout farm and is shared with West Stow Stud. Drive past the Stud to the end of the drive (about 200 yards). There is ample parking.
Refreshments: Tea, cakes and scones including gluten free options.
Tickets: Members £16, non-members £19.
** Only two places remaining **