Map of Location
Earliest documentary evidence
1800 Map of parish shows warren occupying 189 acres in the NW corner of the parish [WSROB M593/1]
SMR Site of Wordwell Lodge shown by Hodskinson in 1783, and (more accurately?) on Estate map of 1800 [WSROB M593/1]
1840 Tithe Map gives all parish land as either arable or woodland but names NW corner as ‘Warren Breck’ and ‘Warren Covert’.
Only in north-east corner along edge of King’s Forest in ‘Four Corners’ area. TL 848 755.
Bank(?) from `Four Corners’ along NE edge of Kings Forest. Marks N boundary of Wordwell Rabbit Warren. 30/08/2008: rapid walk over survey of part of bank demonstrated its variable nature over N length. Appears to start (possible extension to S not checked) at ‘Four Corners’ where circa 8m wide by up to 1m high, and continues east (levelled by cultivation around TL 8335 7650) with mature broadleaved trees on top; bends SE at TL 8360 7650 where bank is circa 17m wide by circa 50cm high; continues as a straight bank to SE on NE side of ‘Elveden Road’ only as slighter bank of circa 10m by 40cm (with mature pine trees on top). Extent further to SE not checked.
SMR Colin Pendleton 30/08/2008: rapid walk over survey in area of revised location (under circa 15 year old pine crop) failed to identify any evidence for lodge though ground very flat suggesting agriculture (shown as arable on 1880 and later maps) and forestry actions would have removed any upstanding evidence. Site may show as discoloured area on RAF 1946 aerial photograph.