Upcoming Events

All of our booking is done online – click HERE for details of how booking works.
Key points:
  • We add the details about each event to this page as soon as they are confirmed. So if some (sometimes most!) details are missing, it’s because we don’t have them yet … so please be patient and check back another time.
  • Booking for each event opens about three weeks in advance. As soon as the date of an event is confirmed, this page will say when booking opens.

Wednesday 29th June, from 8.00pm
AGM, Foulden Village Hall, followed by a Nightjar walk

Our 2022 Annual General Meeting will be held in Foulden Village Hall, Vicarage Road, Foulden, Norfolk, IP26 5AB. The agenda and papers for the AGM will be emailed to members 2-3 weeks before the event.

After the meeting, our Chairman, James Parry, will lead us on a dusk Nightjar walk, weather permitting. We will need to drive to the start of the walk and directions will be given at the meeting – this is because James will reconnoitre possible sites a few days ahead to identify one where we are most likely to encounter these marvellous birds.

As most of you will know, Nightjars are nocturnal. They have an almost supernatural reputation with their silent flight and their mythical ability to steal milk from goats! The first indication that a nightjar is near is usually the male’s churring song, rising and falling with a ventriloquial quality, but in the right conditions they can also be seen hawking for moths at dawn and dusk.

Professor Tom Williamson, pre-eminent East Anglian landscape historian and a great friend of the Society, has kindly donated about 20 copies of his and Kate Skipper’s fascinating book Thetford Forest: Making a Landscape to us. These are free to members and you can pick up a copy at the AGM.

Note – there is no need to book for either the AGM or the walk. The village hall car park may be being resurfaced on the date of the AGM; if so, instructions on where to park will be sent out to all members a few days beforehand.

Sunday 11th September, time TBD
Guided Tour of Bury Abbey Ruins

This tour was originally planned for 2020, but had to be postponed due to the Covid ‘Rule of Six’ that was in force at the time.

Bury St Edmunds Abbey was one of the richest and largest Benedictine monasteries in England and was of huge significance for the Brecks. The site became home to the remains of the martyred King Edmund, and the acquisition of such a notable relic made the monastery a place of national and international pilgrimage.

The Benedictine abbey was established in 1020. Edward the Confessor substantially enlarged the privileges in its charter and at the time of the Norman Conquest Bury ranked fourth among English abbeys in wealth and political importance. It continued to thrive throughout the 13th century but relations with the townspeople were rarely cordial. Matters came to a head in 1327 in a summer of riots, though disputes rumbled on throughout the 14th century. Despite these setbacks Bury St Edmunds remained politically important throughout the 15th century – Henry VI came for Christmas in 1433 and stayed for four months – and when it was surrendered to King Henry VIII in 1539 it still had a considerable income. Though the abbey precinct was quickly stripped of valuable building material, the abbot’s palace survived as a house until 1720.

The tour will be lead by local archaeologist and heritage consultant Dr Rickard Hoggett.

September/October, Date TBD

A Zoom lecture by Dr Hugo Anderson-Whymark on the post-mediaeval gun flint industry, in which Brandon was extremely important. Hugo is Senior Curator in Neolithic Prehistory at the National Museums of Scotland.

Wednesday 15th November, 10.30am – 12.30pm
Lynford Hall estate guided walk

A free members-only historical and nature walk around the publicly accessible parts of the former Lynford Hall estate. Led by naturalist and Brecsoc chair James Parry, who is very knowledgeable about the history of the hall and the estate, and its owners. The walk will take in the gravel pits, old mill, edge of STANTA, the arboretum and the small Catholic chapel (outside only). The event does not include access to the privately-owned Lynford Hall Hotel.

Other Events

We hope to hold a Fungus Foray, led by a local expert, in October/November.