Thetford, St Mary the Less

The Church of St Mary the Less, Thetford

Thetford M_the_Less 06

Name of Researcher Giles Smith

Name or number of building

St Mary the Less

Street name

Bury Road

Village/Town

Thetford

County

Norfolk

Map





Open Space Web-Map builder Code







Current use

Church (redundant)

Nature of original building (if discernible)

Alterations and additions

Please describe (if discernible)

Original south porch with knapped flints

Approximate General Period

Please include any information giving a more specific date, e.g. date plaque.

Medieval – up to 1530

plaque

Form

Church :

Nave and Chancel

Tower

South Porch

Free-standing Wall

Storeys

Single

Walling Material

Flint only Main church

Brick Chancel

Flint Walling Technique

Random Rubble 

Roofing Material

Slate

Doorway /Lintel Detail

arched

Window Detail

decorated see photo of chancel window

Please describe any outstanding or significant flintwork

The two lowest layers of knapped flints try to be coursed

Any other details or information

Any additional observations or comments

It is a beautiful church with a magnificent tower.

The huge churchyard includes the grave of Sir Richard Fulmerstone 1566